Red-headed Woodpecker Nest!
Greetings, It is not every day I find a Red-headed Woodpecker nest. Last week however, I found two in two days. July 2nd, I was conducting my weekly Breeding Bird Atlas survey in my assigned area of Woodbine. Imagine my surprise when I turned the corner of A. E. Mullinix Rd., a red, white & black colored bird flew right in front of me and landed in a Walnut tree. I stopped right there on the road with excitement, a Red-headed Woodpecker (RHWO)! The bird then flew down to a fence post right along the road and I was able to get a look and a photo, but disappointed that it did not have any food in its bill. Those of you familiar with A. E. Mullinix Rd. know that it is without a shoulder and parking is very difficult. A car came up behind me and I had to move on. All I could think was that bird had no reason to be there if it wasn’t breeding. I know at this time of year, RHWO’s are feeding their young now. I was pre...
I am waiting for new content to appear! :-)
ReplyDelete